Friday, September 29, 2006

The Oral Community

Greetings to you my fellow missionaries to oral communities. I thought I would take a moment to let you all know that we have arrived safely to our new home and church family. We have been here 10 days and are loving it.

During one of my visits to this church one of the elders said, "We are an oral church. There was one pastor who tried to get us to write stuff down, but that does not work. We are an oral church." They warned me in advance. We have had many class discussions on it and still I am struggling to remember the difference. This is an amazing chance to grow out of my habits and comfort zone.

For those of you I have not told we were called to United Church a PCUSA church in Woodhull and small town in Illinois. This is a unique congregation in that the UMC and PCUSA churches united as one body in the 1960's. They use the UMC hymnal, partner with the Lutheran Churches in the area for youth group and mission projects and are for the most part farmers. In many ways seminary prepared me for this community.

There will be an ordination/installation service here on October 22 at 3 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come down and worship with us. If you need more details please email me at closeyATwincoDOTnet.

The following are a few things I have learned since arriving here:
1. There are certain waves to be used depending on whether you are walking or
driving. But regardless of your ability it is vitally important that you wave to
everyone.

2. Pastors are overwieght because everyone likes to give you baked goods.

3. I look too young to be a pastor. (For those of you that are younger than me
start spending some time in the sun to get some wrinkles!)

4. The use of the word AWESOME indicates that I am a young whipper snapper.

LOL LOL LOL
I love it here! Thanks be to God!

2 comments:

Cheyanna said...

Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you that I preached a regular sermon my first Sunday. My previous question was the result of some advice I received stating that the first sermon should always be your testimony. Thanks for your comments they were helpful.

Spencer Homan said...

Cheyanna...

I deffinitely feel your pain with #3. I have often considered dying my hair grey on the sides (you know.. that cool "wing" effect.) I very much look forward to the day that my assests will include more than "you are SO young!" Also piggy-backing on this annoyance is that assumption that I will bring young people into the church simply by being... young!

God bless you in your call,

Spencer