Wednesday, September 20, 2006

You Can't Run, You Can't Hide

I forgot to share with you all the funniest thing that has happened to me so far here in Berthoud. I came in on September 1st, my first day, and (of course) there was a lot of unopened mail addressed to "pastor" waiting for me. Volunteers here at the church had graciously divided it into three files: Important, Bills, and Junk. I made it through the first two piles before noon...the last pile I saved for the end of the day. I opened up the file and there, on top, was a letter to "PASTOR" from Rev. Jeffrey Bullock, PhD.

I opened the letter to discover that I am now a "Colleague in Ministry" and can "help UDTS reduce student debt" by "asking my congregation to give directly out of its Mission budget." We've got about 86 cents, if he wants it...and I'm absolutely sure that it will go to "reduce student debt."

I thought about sending a check out of my own pocket and specifying that it go "to fix up the old Losey place so that a family won't sink into oblivion" or for the "Phillips Memorial Waste Water Treatment Facility," but have thought the better of it.

Best to save my personal contributions to buy a brick in the "Angels in the Outfield" wing of the Dr. Anthony "Tony" Danza Center for the Performing Arts and Wrestling. That, brothers and sisters, is a piece of history.

2 comments:

Pastor Tony said...

If you send a nickel maybe they will chime the "I found a nickel" bell. They must be getting desperate becaucse I have not heard the bell yet this school year...hurry Scott and save the school. You know the money will go toward something great for only the undergrads to use...hurry up and save the undergrads...

Anonymous said...

So far, I haven't had that joy. But I did forget to mention that shortly after I got here I did recieve a very nice letter from the PNC at Berthoud! They told me that after consideration (about 5 months of it!) they had decided they would not be pursuing a pastoral relationship with me.

I just thought that was pretty funny. I'll talk to you later