Wednesday, October 18, 2006

A Trip Down Memory Lane

Even at the risk of over-posting...As I have been preparing for an upcoming New Members Class, I have been going through my class notes. The following is the result:

Top 10 margin notes from my UDTS class notes:

10) From Pastoral Care: "What if, when we are baptizing the horse, a wolf attacks? Can we baptize it, too?"

9) From Presbyterian History and Confessions: "Leave me alone. My brain is now in the OFF position."

8) From Doctrine: "Gladiatorial?"

7) From Redeeming the Routines: "Conclusion: I am a bloated sack of Pop-Tarts."

6) From Doctrine: "Did he just call Tillich a Nazi?"

5) From Theology of Old and New Testament: "Moessner says: We need to stop thinking that we are better than the ancients. Scott says: Oh yeah? I've got a Honda Accord."

4) From Greek: "If I ever meet the Dative in an alley, I'm going to kill it. No mercy."

3) From Doctrine: "Meritorious?"

2) From Church History: "Ad Fonzie: To Arnold's! To find Chachi!"

1) From Greek 2: "Times I looked at the clock: 11:15, 11:23, 11:31, 11:33, 11:38, 11:42, 11:43, 11:44, 11:45, 11;46, 11:47, 11:49, 11:50, 11:50, 11:50, 11:50," followed by a short break with the sentence, "Yes, Barb, I know I'm a terrible student," followed by, "11:51, 11:51, 11:52, 11:53, 11:53, 11;53, 11:55," followed by, "lost track."

Ah memories. God bless.

3 comments:

Lis said...

Tooo much! I thought number 2 was hilarious! Glad to see you're doing so well in ministry. I'm sure they are so enjoying your presence. The professors sure do miss you here. I can see the tears in the professors' eyes -missing the trio/guadro (was never really sure)- missing the torment - missing their conflicted emotions, "Scott's a nice guy!" "No wait! Scott makes fun of me in the margin of his notes!" "No wait! It's just the bad influence of those other two yo hoos, especially KIM!" Finally, time and time again, every professor finally rested and fell safely upon: "Scott really is my favorite afterall." We ALL knew it; We ALL felt it.... Until... the inevitable... it never failed... the surprise on their faces when you, their favorite chimmed in with the yuks yuks... their thoughts were practically palitable, "Excuse me, Scott? WHAT did YOU just say?!?" After a summer in therapy (I heard the Gannon center was FULL this summer with appointments from UDTS professors mourning in a rather conflicted emotions that followed your departure) I think they're learning to move on, allowing themselves the freedom to risk feeling liked again for who they are, big words and all. I heard one professor's breakthrough, "They like me! They really really like ME!" They are risking feeling safe again, safe once again to like their students without needing to jerk their heads back around just to be sure. One professor really did develop an annoying twitch... we call it 'Scott Syndrome" - SS - for short. :S

Truth is, I cannot tell a lie: We, your peers, miss you! (aawwwww) - but true. It's WAY too quiet in class; I have a whole lot less to laugh about. Which for some is a tremendous relief. Spencer would be proud.

Lis said...

But, I really really do miss you, yuk yuks and all! Maybe especially because - or maybe because you really are the favorite of us all. Or maybe because I, too, need therapy re: my conflicted emotions over your departure. Seriously! I'm so glad you're doing so well. They're blessed to have you.

Matthew Johnson said...

Now, come on Scott ... I saw you take notes. Your list had to have been the sum of everything you wrote down in Seminary.

Seriously though, if I ever have a PhD, you can make for darn sure I'll be making up my own words too. After all, somebody has to. It can't be left you drum beaters like yourself.

Enjoy your snow.