Friday, June 23, 2006

Help needed...

One of the reasons I choose this internship is because I would get to work as part of a pastoral team. I felt I needed that experience becuase I feel my immediate post-graduation call is as an associate pastor.

The help that is needed is with a funeral service. The pastoral staff has two people on vacation, one is one the work camp with the Sr. High youth group, and the other is busy the day of the service. I have been asked to lead a grave-side service for a former member that has moved away but wished to be burried next to her husband here in town.

There seems to be a learning curve for funeral services... I waas just wondering if you all could give a few tips for someone leading their first grave-side service. What are some things you wish you would have known before your first service? Anything would be helpful at this point as I have never done this before.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at the Presbyterian Book of Common Worship. Specifically starting at page 939 "The Committal." It is fairly straight forward and it can be pretty brief. If you can get your hands on a "Pastoral Edition" of this you can take it with you.

Ron said...

I have been where you are, my brother, and I know how scary it is. The Book of Common Worship is a big help here. Also, in Reformed Worship class, they had us buy a little book called "The Funeral, a Service of Witness to the Resurrection" or something like that. That book was such a tremendous help that I had it spiral bound and I use it at the graveside. May God bless you and walk with you.

Pastor Tony said...

That's one of the books I wish I would have brought with me to Pennsylvania.

Deborah Coble said...

Tony,

My prayers are with you - I can send you some stuff if you still are looking for some material - just being present and praying with them will make all the difference in the world!

deborah

Cindy Marino said...

Some practical advice. Watch where you walk ... I know that sounds trite, but seriously. Sometimes its hard to tell where the grave is under that artificial grass carpet. You'll also want to ask the funeral director which end is the head and stand at that end. At least that's our tradition. You'll be in my prayers.